The Eurovision 2016 grand final has finally dawned upon us. Literally (in Australia, at least). It’s 5am and nothing in the entire universe could ever get me up at 5am except for this beautiful beast of an event that is called the Eurovision Song Contest. Let’s get cracking and see what my Eurovision 2016 Final thoughts will be!
The show is starting off with the final contestants walking down a catwalk. Interesting. If any of these artists find that their music career is going south, at least they have a shot at becoming a model. Ugh, Douwe Bob from The Netherlands and Amir from France are making me go loco.
Let’s get into the songs, shall we?
Love Laura. She’s such a bundle of joy and I absolutely love the positivity she’s oozing! What a great way to start off the show! Unfortunately I am not ready to get up and dance – it’s still way too early in the morning for me (I really need to move to Europe so I can watch this at an appropriate time).
2. Czech Republic
Gabriela is so ethereal, I can’t even. Why are all these contestants so gosh darn beautiful? Love the song – love the melody, there’s something very medieval about it that I just adore. So glad that she’s the first to represent Czech Republic at the finals of Eurovision! Woop woop! History made.
3. The Netherlands
I LOOOOOVE DOUWE BOB ermaghurd he has grown so much on me. I love his flirtatious charm. He has won me over. I wish I was in that crowd touching his hands… Probably not a top 5 song but I do hope it gets top 10 at least?
Dat voice doe.
I love the massive drum on stage – can’t have Eurovision without one of those drums. Mattias said that his backup singers look like they just kinda came off the street, haha. I love the staging for this. That floor is top notch.
Italy’s postcard is so pretty, I’m getting major nostalgia right now. I think her nerves are showing a little through her voice, but she’s just so adorable I can’t even.
And… she offered us all a little seedling, how precious!
Hovi’s costume is not made of stars, but a bazillion gazillion diamonds, apparently.
Love the sentiment of this song. Don’t really understand the weird spinning people in the background. I wonder what would happen if they suddenly stopped spinning and totes fell over.
Love this song – such a catchy dance tune. I also really admire artists that can just get up on stage all alone and totally rock it! Definitely deserves a top 10 position.
I think the one thing Frans has got going for him is that it’s evident the crowd is going wild. Though I must admit, he actually came off pretty charming during that performance. It was actually nice and I am pleasantly surprised.
I love Jamie-Lee so much, she’s just a little cutie pie and I want to be her friend. This is definitely one of my top 10 songs, I love it. So melancholic, mysterious and m… can’t think of another m word. Bookies say she’ll end up last… if that’s the case then I’ll be truly sad for Jamie-Lee.
OMFG I WANT AMIR TO DO SO WELL. His song is the song that connected with me on first listen. I don’t care if he doesn’t have epic staging and that he’s not climbing walls or wearing LED lights on his suit.
This song is like, the theme song of my life.
SHE ABSOLUTELY KILLED IT! VOTE FOR AUSTRALIA. SO PROUD OF DAMI. I CAN’T EVEN. IF SHE DOESN’T WIN… then it’s obvious Europe hates us, lol. Jokes. I know Sweden will always love us and that’s all I need.
Can I just say, I don’t mind this song at all – it’s a fun dance-y tune… but all the people that have been calling me a ‘whore’ for not ranking this high enough on my favourites has really tainted Lithuania for me. Sorry.
Costume reveal. +2 points for me. I love her voice, but I think she did waaaaay better in the semi finals, unfortunately. Croatia should totally send like a Game of Thrones inspired performance.
This song has definitely grown on me more and more. Love Justs’ dancing. Love him in general. What a nice guy.
Little trivia – Latvia is the first country I ever supported in Eurovision back in 2005 with Walter and Khaza and their song The War Is Not Over.
Malta. Song by a Swede. I don’t know, I don’t mind this song but it just sounds like a song straight out of Melodifestivalen.
But lmao, the dead guy on the stage at the end. Killed it. Literally.
25. United Kingdom
Ending it with a BANG! Love this song, hope it gets top 5, though she did better in the semi finals. Huge props to the camera crew and production team, this is legit a good quality performance.
And just like that, 26 acts have performed… it happens oh-so-fast doesn’t it? The clear winners for me personally are Australia, The Netherlands, France, Russia, Latvia, Ukraine and Armenia. Actually, I think they all did a phenomenal job and I hope they enjoyed it, regardless of who wins.
- I’ve just sent one vote to The Netherlands and 2 votes to France. Good luck!!!!
- And now… it’s time to get some Justin Timberlake into our lives. Justin Timberlake is pretty suave, huh? Still seems super out of place to me on the Eurovision stage, but hey, why not. Most of his songs were produced by Swedes anyway.
- Lmao I love this little steps to Eurovision songs. Really encapsulates what I love about Eurovision! THIS IS WHAT EUROVISION IS ABOUT PEOPLE!!! Who cares about the politics and shit?
- Omg. Alexander Rybak. I have actually died. He is the highlight of my Eurovision experience thus far.
- GUYS. HAMSTER WHEELS, OLD GRANNIES, PIANOS ON FIRE, ALEXANDER RYBAK… THIS IS WHAT I LOVE SO MUCH ABOUT EUROVISION. LOVE LOVE PEACE PEACE.
Ok. Time for voting. The most anticipated and exciting part of Eurovision. Let’s go.
- Australia getting the first 12 points of the night… always an ominous sign… Looks like we’re getting a lot of 8’s, 10’s and 12’s! Thank you Netherlands, thanks Switzerland!
- OMFG it’s getting so intense, Australia actually has a chance to win? What?! My poor France though!
LMFAO is this not the best tweet from Eurovision?
— Eurovision (@Eurovision) May 14, 2016
- THAT HAMSTER WHEEL, way to lighten the mood guys.
- Okay, so Australia has won the jury vote. Russia seems to have underperformed strangely enough? A lot of juries didn’t give them any points at all… let’s get into the televotes!
- FERFESFKMSLD INTENSITY. SO INTENSE. WHAT IS THIS VOTING SYSTEM. I DON’T LIKE IT. POOR CZECH REPUBLIC. AHHHHHHHH. HOW MANY POINTS ARE LEFT? WHY ARE THEY DOING IT LIKE THISSSSSS.
- Oh. Ok. Australia can’t win. Sigh. Well, that was a huge let down, I got my hopes way too high lel.
- Is this not what we have been waiting for… Russia vs Ukraine… and 3, 2, 1…. OH, UKRAINE HAS IT! RUSSIA WON THE TELEVOTES BUT NOT ENOUGH TO TOPPLE OVER UKRAINE!!!
Immediate thoughts: Kind of disappointed that Australia didn’t win, even though I came in thinking we had no chance. Damn. What a huge let down, but congratulations to Ukraine nevertheless. Well deserved – Jamala didn’t send shivers to my kneecaps for nothing!
And France came in 6th, which is the highest they’ve placed since 2002, apparently. Well done Amir. Wish he was 4th or 5th though.
Ok that about wraps it up. I’m definitely going to have a snooze and then do a little video after. Thanks for all the good times. Eurovision sure can bring a smile to my face when I’m feeling down and that’s all that matters to me. And Alexander Rybak, of course.
See you in Ukraine next year!