I often get emails from beautiful people who struggle with self-confidence. It’s heartbreaking to see how someone can put themselves down when they have so much potential. I see it in myself too. My own lack of self-confidence has always been a major roadblock in unleashing my true potential.
High self-esteem and confidence doesn’t just happen overnight though. It’s an ongoing journey and for some, it’s easier. For others, it’s like trying to get from point A to B while being jostled and pushed backwards by a relentless crowd of criticism, doubts and insecurities. Some people might even have just given up completely.
I’ve personally gotten so used to talking myself down that it’s just become second nature to me. I never give myself any praise. “I’m not good enough”, “She’s so much better than me”, “I suck”, “I should just give up”, “Why does everyone hate me?” These are the thoughts that constantly cloud my mind. It’s poisonous. It’s crippling.
The brain is a muscle and the more you train it with negativity, the harder it is to escape the ominous pit of self-loathe. So, even though you may be getting jostled from every which direction with negative thoughts about yourself, train your mind to do the exact opposite! Surround yourself with positive words of encouragement. It’s a great first step to becoming happier.
Here are 31 quotes that encourage self-love and confidence that really resonated with me. I hope they’ll inspire you to love yourself more, because you deserve it!
“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance”
– Oscar Wilde
2. “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
– Kurt Cobain
3. “You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who’ll decide where you’ll go.”
– Dr. Seuss
4. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.”
– Vincent Van Gogh
6. “Low self-confidence isn’t a life sentence. Self-confidence can be learned, practiced, and mastered–just like any other skill. Once you master it, everything in your life will change for the better.”
7. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease to forever be able to do it.”
– J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
9. “Self-empowerment is free to anyone who chooses to use it. It comes from within and nowhere else. You cannot buy it, borrow it, steal it or sell it. It is always available to you and never wears out. The only choice you have to make is whether or not you will use it.”
10. “Why do you put your self esteem in the hands of complete strangers?”
– Helena Bonham Carter
12. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
– Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
15. “No one sees your strength, do they? No one sees the silent battle you fight against your overprotective mind that’s trying to keep you safe from harm by keeping you safe from risk, safe from connection, safe from honesty. Maybe others don’t see, but you see it sometimes, don’t you? In the mirror, in those eyes, begging for someone to notice. You have noticed. It is real. You are strong. You are fighting for something incredible. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise—especially not your thoughts.”
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
17. “A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.”
18. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
19. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”
– Fred Rogers
20. “If you can believe in yourself, you can soar with great wings far beyond the sky.”
– Lailah Gifty Akita
22. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.”
– Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
– A.A. Milne
24. “Why should we worry about what others think of us, do we have more confidence in their opinions than we do our own?”
– Brigham Young
25. “Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.”
– August Wilson
26. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.”
– Shannon L. Alder
27. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”
– Henry Ford
28. “You all have your own distinct personal backgrounds. Of course some of you come from rich families, some from poor families. But circumstances beyond your control like that shouldn’t determine who you are. You must all realise what you’re worth on your own.”
– Koushun Takami, Battle Royale
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
– Lucille Ball
31. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
– George Eliot
I hope some of these quotes will help you learn to love yourself more! Remember, your circumstance should never be a debilitating force that makes you feel like you’re not worthy of love. Once you learn to love yourself, your confidence will grow. Then, you can truly tackle the world and your life ambitions! Self-love and confidence doesn’t happen overnight, but the more you practice the easier it becomes.
You can do it. I believe in you 🙂
If you come across more quotes that you find inspiring, please share them in the comments. After all… sharing is caring!